Thursday, February 10, 2011


Kitchen area being demolished

This phase started almost immediately after we determined what was slated to be salvaged for reuse. Protection of the floors was accomplished with taped down Masonite and Duct Tape. It was determined early on that since the scope of work included so much of the home that removing all of the lath and plaster was going to save time and money in the long run. With a flat roof there was an unknown amount of insulation in the ceiling and energy efficiency will be a serious concern. 70 yards of debris were generated and lots of the wood was taken to recycling as well as 900 lbs of metal. Four of the team worked for a week removing debris.

at the recycling center

Bedroom ceiling coming dow.
 Dust of any kind is not healthy to breath so eye protection and dust protection were used regularly. Once exposed, several framing deficiencies were found and fixed.We also eliminated all of the plumbing and found multiple hazardous electrical issues much of which was caused by alterations done by an earlier remodel. The entire electrical system was removed as well. Often starting over is the safest and most efficient way to go. Once the palate was clean we could begin to rebuild. Confirming the locations of components that were hidden allowed for several minor plan modifications, none of which added cost to the project for the owners. Occasionally we find buried treasures or old artifacts that give a glimpse into the builders or the previous owners, unfortunately nothing cool was found on this project. Sometimes we do what I call a surgical demolition by "removing as little a s possible but as much as necessary" Every case is a little different. In this instance, no serious hidden deficiencies or defects were found.

No comments:

Post a Comment